In the canons of Blacks history in this country is the day Juneteenth. When I hear the word “Juneteenth” I immediately think of Black folks in Texas. The slaves in Texas were late receiving their freedom by 2 years. On June 19, 1865 , Union General Gordon Granger with 2,000 soldiers, read “General Order No. 3” from the balcony of the Aston Villa in Galveston Island, TX.
The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.
Former slaves danced in the street of Galveston in celebration of their freedom. Abraham Lincoln emancipation proclamation freeing slaves was to be effective as of January 1, 1863 but it was not honored by southern states until after the civil war.
- Why is it that some successful Black men end up marrying white women. I have nothing against white women. I’m just curious! One young man told me he preferred white women because they don’t give you hassles or snap out and/or do something outrageous. I’m sure he is talking about the last Black woman (whom he lived with) that drove him around and let him use her car when he wanted to because he didn’t have car. But the brother crossed the line when he had her take him to buy beer (she paid for)and then drop him off at his mom’s where him and his friends had a good time drinking, talking, laughing and doing what young Black men do late into the night. He decided to stay at mom’s house while girlfriend waited for him to call to be picked up. Well, about 4am mom was awakened by a car horn and a young lady shouting. Well sista girl was angry because she felt as though she put herself out for him and he didn’t come home. Well she said if you want to be at mom’s here is your clothes and proceeded to throw them in the street in front of mom’s house. He never dated another Black woman. I could say more on the subject but I’ll save that for another blog.
- Vanilla care of chocolate hair. Yes, I’m going to say it, “white mothers of brown children” please learn to do your daughters hair. It’s not acceptable that a brown girl’s hair is a mess! Ok, your hair isn’t a mess so take the time to learn about your brown child’s hair care. It is extremely hard to help a young brown/Black child deal with hair issues when mom looks entirely different and not setting the example. Hello, when a Black woman sees a brown child with her white mother and the child’s hair is a mess it turns our stomach. Some Black women prefer to look away because the sight is so disturbing. We take pride in our hair. The child’s hair is not like yours so treat it as such. Get informed!! Here is a website where you can get a hint as to what to do. http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/
Black hair is not quick and easy. And, we take pride in our hair too.
3. Another pet peeve is young Black mothers who don’t know who their baby daddy is. I don’t want to be invited to a baby shower where the baby receives everything but a daddy. When did that become acceptable? Young ladies please listen carefully, having sex because it feels good without protection is “ratchet” behavior. And, one guy a menstrual cycle should be the rule for unprotected sex if you are having sexual relations with more than one man. Seems to be a lot of friends with benefits out there.
4. The senseless killing of our young Black men by police and its always justified! I don’t want to hate the police but it’s hard not to when you see someone you have known to be a docile young man and then he appears on the news as another young Black man who had a gun in his hand running from the police. The police officer fired 6 rounds into his back. All this over a traffic stop?? And, the incident is deemed justified!
5. The NAACP! Who stays silent on above topics. We should still protest on the steps of city hall when a young Black man is killed. Have a mock funeral in front of city hall, Louisiana style. What does the NAACP do for Black folks? Oh, take money from racist whites.