We have all heard the term the” the haves” and “the have nots.” Unfortunately, the wealth and power in America is held by 1% of the population and the rest of us fall in the 99% that are not wealthy and have no power. The following statement from an article titled “The Economic Elite Have Engineered an Extraordinary Coup, Threatening the Very Existence of the Middle Class” by David DeGraw states, “It has now become evident to a critical mass that the Republican and Democratic parties, along with all three branches of our government, have been bought off by a well-organized Economic Elite who are tactically destroying our way of life. The harsh truth is that 99 percent of the U.S. population no longer has political representation. The U.S. economy, government and tax system is now blatantly rigged against us.” We are in trouble.
America is the riches country in the world but we have 46.2 million people living in poverty and 16.4 million children living in poverty and the younger the child the poorer the child. Martin Luther King Jr. stated, “America is going to hell if we don’t use her vast resources to end poverty and make it possible for all of God’s children to have the basic necessities of life.” And, now we have a revolutionary movement of the people called Occupy Wall Street. How did it get started? Below is a timeline of Occupy Wall Street from an article on NPR that states it started from a blog.
Timeline: Tracking Occupy Wall Street’s Growth
July 13: Adbusters publishes a blog post calling for “a shift in revolutionary tactics” and urging tens of thousands of people to converge on lower Manhattan. The plan: “set up tents, kitchens, peaceful barricades a
nd occupy Wall Street for a few months. Once there, we shall incessantly repeat one simple demand in a plurality of voices.”
The protest will have no leadership, the post notes. And its sole demand will not be determined until the gathered mass of protesters agree on what it should be.
But the post’s authors can’t resist offering a candidate: “[We] demand that Barack Obama ordain a Presidential Commission tasked with ending the influence money has over our representatives in Washington. It’s time for Democracy Not Corporatocracy, we’re doomed without it.”
The post, signed “Culture Jammers HQ,” also introduces the #occupywallstreet hashtag.
July 26: The Occupy Wall Street website is launched; the group also uses Twitter and
Facebook to promote the Sept. 17 demonstration. Adbusters calls for similar protests to be held in central financial districts in Germany, Japan, Britain, and around the world.
Sept. 17: The rally and march take place, and the protesters set up a temporary city in lower Manhattan’s Zuccotti Park. Soon it will have its own newspaper, food supply chain and WiFi. Reports of arrests and clashes with police emerge almost daily. Many of the incidents are filmed and posted on YouTube.
Sept. 24: New York police officers arrest more than 80 protesters as they march to Union Square. The conflict brings fresh charges that the police were overly zealous in using force and pepper spray.
Oct. 1: More than 700 demonstrators are arrested during a march across the Brooklyn Bridge. Police officials say they targeted only those protesters who clogged traffic lanes instead of taking the pedestrian walkway.
Oct. 5: Many of America’s largest unions announce their support for Occupy Wall Street, as the movement holds a large march in Manhattan. In a poll, the group’s approval rating is measured at 33 percent — 19 points higher than that of Congress.
gger Erick Eric
kson’s blog post on Oct. 5, the group’s slogan is a play on “the 99 Percent.”
Oct. 12: New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg visits the protesters’ camp in Zuccotti Park, telling them they have two days to vacate the park, so that its owners, Brookfield Office Properties, can clean it. His office cites “unsanitary conditions.” Protesters begin cleaning the park themselves.
Oct. 14: Brookfield Properties announces that it will not force Occupy Wall Street to leave Zuccotti Park. On his radio show, Bloomberg says the company bowed to pressure from elected officials.
Oct. 15: Loosely coordinated demonstrations inspired by Occupy Wall Street take place in 951 cities in some 82 countries, according to organizers.
Oct. 17: Adbusters proposes an Oct. 29 “#RobinHood Global March” — and a candidate for the group’s unifying demand: “On October 29, on the eve of the G20 Leaders Summit in France, let’s the people of the world rise up and demand that our G20 leaders immediately impose a 1% #ROBINHOOD tax on all financial transactions and currency trades.”
Oct. 19: The New York City Police Department says that one its officers — who famously pepper-sprayed women during a Sept. 24 protest — will be disciplined and is likely to lose vacation days.
Power to the people!!